Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Papa...

"The best lesson we could learn from our grandparents is to cherish every moment we have with them." ~Carin

Twenty years ago today my Grandfather was called back by Heavenly Father. I remember that day so clearly and what a blessing it truly was. In May of 1989 Papa had been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. He stayed strong for a few months but he quickly deteriorated towards the end of the summer and by the end of August he was really suffering. He began to quickly deteriorate, every breath was a painful struggle and we began to pray for him to pass on.

A few days before he passed away he told my grandmother about a dream he had. His mother had come to him and told him it was time for him to come home. She had several children gathered around, one little girl and a set of twin boys. This was of special significance to him because he had a sister that they had lost when she was a few days old, and my grandmother had given birth to stillborn twin boys. He then asked where his father was and she told him he would be here when the time came. My grandfather's father was killed when he was six years old.

The night before my grandfather passed away, we had all gathered in his room to say a family prayer and give my grandfather a blessing. I will never forget the strong spirit that was present in that room that evening. I had never witnessed the feeling of having so many loved ones present both temporally and spiritually.

Shortly after midnight my grandmother came down stairs and said he had passed away. Once we gathered in his room he took his last breath. that breath was the sound of a clear healthy breath. We knew he was gone but it was okay. He was no longer suffering.

My grandfather taught me so many things. He was such a strong, supportive, and gentle man. For many years he was the only father figure I had in my life. No matter what I did or said I knew my Papa would always be there for me. Even after twenty years I can still feel his love and support when I feel like I need him there. I am so grateful for the knowledge that I know he is there and that I one day will have the opportunity to see him again. I am so happy to know that Mason and Eric will both have the opportunity to meet him.

Today is Eric's birthday and the day my grandfather passed on. My grandmother remarks how much Eric reminds her of Papa. Eric is a very proud and private person. That is how my grandfather always was. So today as we celebrate the day my husband was born. I also celebrate that I have had two such wonderful men in my life that I love and cherish so dearly.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails