Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Making a difference....

Black Sand Beach - Maui
"We ourselves feel that what we are doing is just a drop in the ocean.
But the ocean would be less because of that missing drop."
~Mother Theresa

I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to do the job that I do day in and day out. I have worked providing support to people with disabilities since I was 18 years old. I am lucky to have found my "Career" early on in my life. I know that this is what I am supposed to be doing.
Many years ago I was questioning whether I needed to change the direction my career was going and possibly look for a different type of job. I have seen hundreds of people come and go in the Disability community over the years. There definitely is a high burn out factor and it just isn't for everyone. But it is for me. I know this because my neighbor told me so...
When I first moved to PG we had a young women who was our neighbor. This young women has Down Syndrome. Everyday she would be waiting at the fence and we would chit chat and go about our business. One day I was in a huge hurry, as I pulled into the driveway there was Amy waiting for our chat. I got out, told her hello but I said I couldn't talk right now because I was running late for school. She said"Okay, why are you going to school, oh yeah I know your going to school so you can help people like me." I looked at her and said "You are right" She then said ,"That's why you are here, you are here to help people like me."
That statement has stopped me from ever again questioning why I do the job that I do. Even on the toughest of days, thinking about Amy pulls me through.
I am lucky. I am so thankful to have the opportunity to spend my time at work helping and providing service to such incredible people. Although many people complain about "having" to go to work. I look at work as one of the greatest blessings in my life.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails