Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Rule - What Rule???

I made a very interesting observation at Mason's school on Friday. Mason had called me to tell me that I was going to need to come and pick him up as the school was on lock-down, and no children where allowed to leave unless their parents personally came and picked them up from school. So I told him I would be there in a minute or so I thought.
As I began to make my way towards the school it was bumper to bumper on a two lane road. About a mile from the school I noticed cars being parked along the road way. I continued towards the school but turned down a side street in order to go in through the back of the school. That direction was no better as it was jammed with cars of parents who had just parked wherever in order to get to their child or children.
Then I saw the line wrapped down the front stairs and clear down the length of the school full of concerned and upset parents waiting to get into the front office to check their student out. Now I also was upset of coarse, as any parent would be. Luckily the school was locked-down just as a precaution and not that the kids where in imminent danger. But I didn't know that at the time.
I parked about a mile from the school on a back road and began to walk. As I was walking another parent asked if I knew what had happened, I said no, and she proceeded to tell me that her daughter had called her from one of the two Elementary schools that had been locked down and said that there had been a shooting in the school. My heart skipped a beat and I began to try and call a friend of mine who works at the high school. When I reached her she told me the real story, which although a terrible tragedy, was a relief and then gave me some very useful information. I just had to go directly to Mason's classroom and the teacher would release him to me. No waiting in the huge line. I called Mason back and asked what classroom he was in and where it was. As I got to his classroom, the teacher was standing outside the door with the doors locked, all the students safely tucked away inside. So we began to chit-chat, she asked if I knew what had happened since she had also received the misinformation of the shooting having taken place in one of the elementary schools. I told her what I had been told. We then got talking about the kids and my observation. Posted around the school are numerous NO CELL PHONE signs. She had one hanging beside her classroom door. She said that initially when the Principal told the children the school was locked-down and they would have to call there parents, all but five out of the thirty-five students whipped out their cell phones and called their parents. (This did include my own child I am sad to say) I told the teacher about an experiment I did one time at one of my group homes. The manager had posted a sign in the home that said, "Do not forget to sign the medication log after assisting with medications." After numerous write-ups for people not signing the med log and actually having to terminate someone over it. I decided to see if the sign even helped. So I wrote on the same type of paper in the same ink. "I do not know why this stupid sign is even hanging here no-body bothers to read it anyway." This sign was posted until the next staff meeting which was about a month away. At that meeting as we were discussing the numerous medication errors. I talked about the sign and asked someone to go grab it and read it. They of coarse were rather embarrassed upon reading it and we figured out another way to remind people to document there medication. So I told the teacher it might be a good time to change up the signs, move them around, change there color or maybe even get rid of them. Obviously the weren't working. The students proved how much they observed the NO CELL PHONE rule. Although Mason and I had a talk about the importance of said posted rules and that they are meant to be followed not just for decoration.
Interestingly enough Mason said he noticed his teacher had taken down her NO CELL PHONE sign on Monday.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails