Tuesday, September 1, 2009

I know the schools are crowded but...

Mason came home last Thursday, saying he had a paper that I really needed to sign. I told him to bring me the paper and when I looked at it I couldn't believe it. It was papers to discharge Mason from his current school. I asked him how he had gotten the paper and he said that he had told a teacher he was going to be moving and asked if he should do any of the school work. The teacher sent him to the counseling office, where they immediately began the withdrawal process. Friday morning I sent him back to school. He called me around 11:00 an asked if he could come home. I asked him what was going on. He said he was bored because they didn't have him going to class but sitting in the office reading. I was in a meeting in Salt Lake but headed to the school as soon as I could.
When I got in I went into the counselors office and asked if it was normal practice to discharge a 13 year old on word that they were moving. To my astonishment she said yes. Anytime they have a student that says they are moving they immediately start the withdrawal process. She said the school is so overly crowded they jump at the chance to have a student leave.
It makes me sad to think that the students at that school(which is supposed to be one of the best in the state) can be so concerned about lowering the numbers in the student body instead of focusing on providing a quality education to their students.
Just one more reason I am so very thankful we have been given this opportunity to move.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As a teacher in a crowded school, I have to say that is absolutely unforgiveable! We make the parents come in, or put it in writing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails