Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Big Easy.....

New Orleans will always hold a special place in my heart. Eric and I went drove down there three weeks before our wedding to help my Mother move to Utah. What a beautiful city!!! So full of energy. The people with there southern hospitality. Music always in the air and the sweet smell of jasmine and honeysuckle.

That is until.....
and it made me so sad because I was seeing images of places I had been, people hurting and suffering and all of this going on, not in some far away third world country but right here in the good old USA. I became really depressed because I felt so helpless. I donated what I could. I worked with my company to ready ourselves in case they sent individuals with disabilities to Utah for temporary placement. But it never happened. No one seemed to be receiving help or assistance. I remember seeing this written by a reporter in TIME magazine and thought WOW!!! Is this really happening?

"How, then, did we get here? How did the richest country on Earth end up watching children cry for food in putrid encampments on the evening news? How did reporters reach crowds of the desperate in places where police, troops and emergency responders had not yet been--three days after the storm?" -- Time magazine



After the water's receded and the clean-up began. X's began to appear on the homes in New Orleans. As these images appeared it was horrifying to know what that these numbers meant how many bodies had been pulled from the home. Over 1800 people died across the gulf coast.



Now here we are five years later. Rebuilding has happened, lessons have been learned and people have moved on. New Orleans is on it's way to returning to the beautiful city it once was.
Although, it might not be the happiest of anniversaries for some it a great reminder of how resilient and forgiving our country can be. What amazing hope and faith the people of New Orleans have had. It reminds me that if we cannot learn a lesson through knowledge, Heavenly Father will send us a trial to learn the lesson by.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails